1.31.2007

Music

After completing the "Sneaky" pinup from the previous post, I decided to keep sketching in that style to see what I'd come up with. Before I knew it, there was a swingin' big band on the page.


Considering that I'm pretty calculated when it comes to my sketches, it was kinda cool to come up with "Don Chi Chi and The Upbeat Orchestra" out of the blue. Maybe it's all the noir films I've been watching lately. Or maybe the sketch was a result of a recent conversation I had with a friend about Bernard Hermann's cameo in Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Honestly, I have no clue. But I thought they came out pretty cool so I inked them up. Here's the result:

After cleaning the picture in Photoshop, I rearranged the musicians, referenced big band flyers and ads from that era to come up with design ideas (gotta love Google's image search!), threw in some colors, and came up with this:


Bernie

No comments: